The province is launching its third disaster financial assistance program in six months to help Nova Scotians with severe property damage get their lives back in order after a series of storms in 2010 caused widespread damage. The program was announced today, May 19. “Government believes in doing as much as it can to make people’s lives better, particularly when they most need support,” said Ross Landry, Minister of Justice. “This program will help hundreds of Nova Scotians who were the hardest hit.” The new Disaster Financial Assistance program, cost-shared between Ottawa and the province, is worth almost $3-million and covers uninsured storm damage caused between Dec. 12 and 15, 2010. It is expected that the federal government will bear about $1-million of the cost with the province funding the rest. During the four-day span in December, up to 130 mm of rain fell in some areas. The heavy rain was accompanied by high winds and storm surge that caused damage from Digby County through much of central and eastern Nova Scotia, including Cape Breton. Nova Scotians with uninsured damage in Digby, Annapolis, Kings, Hants, Halifax, Colchester, Pictou, Guysborough, Antigonish, Victoria, Inverness, Richmond, and Cape Breton counties may be eligible for assistance. “Last year was an extraordinary time for damaging weather in the province. It is the first time any Nova Scotia government has announced three disaster financial assistance programs for one year,” said Mr. Landry. “This is a reminder to us all that emergencies do happen here at home. Please take time to ensure your family has an emergency plan and kit in place.” From August to the end of December, severe wind and rain storms caused significant damage across the province. The estimated value of the new program brings the total for disaster assistance to more than $16-million for storms in 2010. A program valued at about $8 million for flash flooding in Meat Cove in August was announced Oct. 27. A second program, worth more than $5.5 million, was announced Jan. 14, for flood damage in central and southwestern Nova Scotia from early November. Claims information and application forms are available at emo.gov.ns.ca and at Access Nova Scotia centres. The Emergency Management Office, a division of the Department of Justice, aims to ensure the safety and security of Nova Scotians, their property and the environment by providing for a prompt and co-ordinated response to an emergency.
Marrakech – More than two million people have visited the Moroccan Pavilion at the World Exhibition “Expo-Milan 2015” since its opening on May 1st, 2015.According to statistics obtained by MAP from the Directorate of the Moroccan Pavilion, 2,187,698 have visited the event between May 1 to September 30.“It is estimated that the figure will reach 2.5 million visitors by the end of October, the closing date of the event”, the same source added. Proposed under the theme “A Journey of Flavors”, the Moroccan pavilion includes an imposing ocher brown citadel built on an area of 2900 square meters.Nestled in a garden of representative of the diversity of Moroccan landscapes and ecosystems, the pavilion offers visitors a journey to the rhythms of different regions of the Kingdom.The visitor has the opportunity to discover the wealth of production, water management, and the means put in place to preserve the environment and improve living standards of rural populations.In short, it is a perfect, harmonious trip under the main theme of the Expo, “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life”.